November 6 is National Nachos Day in the USA… but hey… nachos are so moreish, why shouldn’t we have a little Nachos celebration this side of the equator, too!
The story goes that a Mexican maître d named Ignacio Anaya found himself without a chef when a dozen or so hungry guests showed up at the Victory Club restaurant on the Mexican border. Ignacio had to think out of the box, as the only foods in the kitchen that night were tortillas and cheese. He cut the tortillas in triangles and the cheese was grated over the top. Finally, jalapeño peppers were strewn over the dish, which was heated to produce the melting cheese. And so it was that in 1943, then, Ignacio ‘Nacho’ Anaya created the first ever Nachos Especiales!
Nachos are undoubtedly a winning dish to serve with a cold beverage on a hot summer’s day, and the following recipe is made all the more special by the addition of two All Gold classics: All Gold Hot & Spicy Tomato Sauce, and All Gold Chilli & Herbs Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes.
Invite your family and friends over and celebrate Nachos Day in style with these easy to make recipes!
1 large bag corn tortilla chips
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 jalapeño, sliced crosswise, plus extra for garnish
2 cans All Gold Chilli & Herbs Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup sour cream
½ cup chopped spring onions
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ripe avocado
2 tsps lemon juice
Salt and black pepper
All Gold Hot & Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and grease a large casserole dish.
- Spread a layer of tortilla chips along the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon some All Gold Chilli & Herbs Mexican Style Chopped Tomatoes over the tortilla chips.
- Add some chopped chilli, spring onion, sour cream and a handful of grated cheese.
- Continue to layer the ingredients in this way, ending with a layer of tortilla chips covered in grated cheese, sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped chilli and spring onion.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- To make the guacamole, mash up one avocado and mix in chopped onions.
- Mix in the lemon juice and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Top each serving of nachos with a dollop of guacamole.